27 January 2014

{faith} you will have trouble

Disheartening and upsetting news is all around us. It infiltrates our lives, and if you're like me, I can quickly let it effect my mood in a negative way. I tend to carry the weight of the world on my shoulders...something that is not mine to carry. Jesus has overcome the world and all of its past, present and future weight. His yoke is easy and His burden is light (Matthew 11:30). So, what do we do when we have trouble...when our loved ones have trouble?

Sarah Young's book, Jesus Calling, never fails to bring me truth and wisdom at the exact time I need it. Jesus works amazingly that way. Through His word and through His people. Here is yesterday's devotional.

Give up the illusion that you deserve a problem-free life. Part of you is still hungering for the resolution of all difficulties. This is a false hope! As I told My disciples, in the world you will have trouble. Link your hope not to problem solving in this life but to the promise of an eternity of problem-free life in heaven. Instead of seeking perfection in this fallen world, pour your energy into seeking Me: the Perfect One.
It is possible to enjoy Me and glorify Me in the midst of adverse circumstances. In fact, My Light shines most brightly through believers who trust Me in the dark. That kind of trust is supernatural: a production of My indwelling Spirit. When things seem all wrong, trust Me anyway. I am much less interested in right circumstances than in right responses to whatever comes your way.

That last line kicked me in the gut yesterday. Humanly, I want right circumstances in this life. However, this life is preparation for the next, and the next life is the perfect one. So, in preparation for heaven and with His help, I will not fear bad news. I will cling to the ONE who is steadfast and true (Psalm 112:7).



I'd love to know...
How do you cope with hard times or bad news? 
What verses have brought you comfort and strength?

Blessings to you and yours.


This post was shared on "Wise Woman Linkup" on 9.17.14.

2 comments :

  1. I have several:

    Rom 8:28 And in all things God works for the good of those who love Him.

    Jer. 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.

    Isaiah 59:1 Surely the arm of the Lord is not too short to save

    Acts 17:26-28 From one man He made every nation of men; and He determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. God did this so that men would seek Him and perhaps reach out for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us. For in Him, we live and move and have our being.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julia,

    Thank you for sharing these verses. There's something about God's word that calms a weary (or worried) soul.

    whitney

    ReplyDelete